Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Halloween decor you're not afraid of...

 



Having a theatrical background (all time love, Sweeney Todd) and a passion for film scores (think Carlos' The Shining and Danny Elfin) has it's advantages when it comes to Halloween around our house. That and living with a kiddo who spent most of his life hoping to be Tim Burton, you can just imagine what the month of October brings us. 
Suffice to say we barely recover for Christmas.
photo courtesy of ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com
So this week I thought it might be fun to bring you some ideas of not so scary, and not so tacky....almost tactful decorating ideas to help liven up your home and garden. Read on...
A fabulous pumpkin book by sundayview.blogspot.com
Shelterness and Ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com
have some sweet, not so scary, fall decorating ideas that are sure to keep the little ones running up to your door.


Pumpkins don't always have to be orange. Try something a little different!



When it comes to Halloween, I'm a big believer that less is less, but I admit there is something about just the essence of a theme that can also be enchanting.



photo courtesy of sadiepriss.blogspot.com


My family would agree that we all benefit from keeping sharp objects out of my hands, so I am a sucker for a great painted pumpkin. 


photo courtesy of Kristen Sitton


And, like a crow, I am always attracted to shiny objects.


I love a centerpiece that, with a few quick changes, can go the distance (read: Thanksgiving!)


photo courtesy of uptodateinteriors.com
photo courtesy of shelterness.com

And of course, you need to add in some craft ideas. Those who know me will attest to the fact that I am not very crafty (see above mentioned comment about sharp objects), so the maximum impact for the least amount of effort is attractive to me when it comes to this department...


Water balloons, and stockings, and glow sticks, oh my...


Whether it's kids in cute cuddly costumes you love or frightening masks and screams that make your hair stand up that gets your blood pumping, Halloween brings out the kid in all of us!

Ever thought your house was haunted? Or that you heard a funny noise...wait, did you hear that??!! I think I just heard a door creak open...don't look back! Just kidding!

But seriously if you have a minute, Houzz.com has a fun little quiz to take to find out what kind of haunted house you have. 

And if you are anywhere in the northeast in the next few weeks, check out an incredible display of awesome frightfullness (ten years later my daughter still can't look at a chain saw the same way) of Haunted Overload



photo courtesy of hauntedoverload.com

If you can't get to them, they will gladly reside in your living room on Oct 28th courtesy of ABC's The Great Halloween Fright Night


For more ghostly inspiration, float on over to my pinterest and check out some frighteningly good ideas.

Eerily yours,

Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment